So, I was charged with making cupcakes for my cousin’s baby shower. Intimidating? A little. But to add to it, my cousin and our friend who was also in attendance, are my weight-loss buddies. If you’re going to ask someone who you’re supposed to be supporting, to vacate their diet for ANY reason, it better be a damn delicious reason. So I had to come up with something really good.
Alright…busted. These are not the ACTUAL cupcakes I made for the shower…but there was a rush, I tell ya, yeah, a real rush, and I was late, and in the kerfuffle I forgot to take a picture. Have you ever taken a picture in a kerfuffle? It’s not easy, so lay off man. I made chocolate cupcakes for the shower, so use your brain and imagine your own damn picture. Hmpf.
So with that said, these are the cupcakes I made a few days after the shower, for a friend that was coming by for a visit. These ones are white cupcakes, that have been filled with (store-bought) caramel, and topped with the most heavenly, indescribably delicious, leftover espresso buttercream.
I had to make some minis so we didn’t feel bad eating 10 each.
And I made some pretty ones for the kids, since all they eat is icing and sprinkles anyway.
I know, it seems a bit extravagant, but I don’t get a lot of visitors. And I’m not even going to MENTION the fact that she brought about 30 mini cinnamon buns with her. And I am DEFINITELY not going to mention that there were only 2 adults and 5 children here. No. One. Else. Man, I hope that never gets out.
Okeeeeeeeee. So before I embarrass myself any more (not possible) I better just get to the recipe.
It’s another one of Martha’s, of course. So read this note, then prepare yourself for a flavour EXPLOSION! (Disclaimer: Nothing actually explodes upon consumption of this icing.)
To make about 5 cups of AMAZING Espresso Buttercream, you’ll need:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of good quality espresso powder
- Combine sugar and egg whites in mixer bowl, and set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture registers 140 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
- Transfer bowl to mixer; whisk on medium-high speed until whites are fluffy and cooled, about 10 minutes. Continue to whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Stir espresso into the vanilla. I know, you’re thinking, but there’s all that powder, in that bit of liquid, how does that…? Just DO IT!
- Reduce speed to medium-low; add butter by the tablespoon, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in espressofied vanilla.
- Take your two cleanest fingers and take a big old scoop.
- Die. See you in Heaven.
It can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days or frozen up to 1 month. Bring to room temperature before using; beat on lowest speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.Enjoy!