What’s up brah? I was chillin’ at Loblaws the other day and was totally stoked to peep this bitchin’ salad, so I hopped on my longboard and was totally hot-doggin’ it to the homestead to make my own. Yeah…I know it’s totally bogus to snake someone else’s recipe, but since this recipe belongs to the man, I thought to myself, “Relax dude…it’s yours for the taking.”
Anyway, in English (and Less-Annoying), I saw this salad called a California Salad, so I went home and made my own.
It’s delicious. It’s beautiful. And like most things in my life, it looks like it’s a lot more work than it is. So if you’re having guests over, it’s a great salad to make, because it looks like you slaved away, when really it takes about 10 minutes to throw together. (Sorry to shatter the illusion Heidi and Gord).
It’s one of those salads where there’s so much in it, that every bite tastes a little bit different, and every bite is DELICIOUS. Also, it goes with anything. Like anything from a nice grilled chicken breast to hot dogs. Not that we ever serve hot dogs around here. They’re just for parents that don’t care right? (Burp) Oh, excuse me, I just burped the hot dogs we had for lunch…I mean…It’s so fresh and sweet that it’s almost like dessert.
So, I know you already caught a peek of the salad, which is already awesome, but it’s even better with goat cheese. My friends that were here the night I took that picture aren’t goat cheese fans, so I just put it on the side, but really…look at the contrast (in both colour and taste). Incredible.
So, if you want to have the best salad you’ve ever had, you should just put these simple items on your next shopping list to make sure you can do just that.
To make 4 side servings (or 2 meal-sized servings) of California Salad, you’ll need:
- 6 good handfuls of baby spinach
- 1/4 of an english cucumber, sliced very thin
- 10 medium/large strawberries, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup of canned mandarin oranges, drained of any juice or packing liquid
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup of soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup (or so) of poppy seed dressing
- A healthy dose of ground black pepper
* An (obvious) note on salad making: If you like something a lot, and don’t like something else, just adjust the measurements to suit you…just make sure I never find out about it or I’ll…I’ll…I’ll think of something bad to do.
- Toast your almonds. Just place them in a frying pan with no oil or anything, and toast them over medium heat for about 10 mintues, or until you can smell them. Toss them every couple minutes to prevent burning.
- Slice, measure and throw everything else into a big salad bowl.
- Once your almonds are cooled, add them to the salad, and toss it all in the poppy seed dressing.
- Top it with some pepper when you sit down to eat, and enjoy!
I suggest you pair it with some salty sea air, your favourite Beach Boys album and a hang-ten sign bro!
Thanks for reading, even though I am a total idiot.
P.S. That picture is from Point Break, which I have heard described as “The Best Movie Ever” (by me) and “The Worst Movie Ever” (by film critics and anyone that knows anything about cinematic quality).